College Station Fire Department
College Station, Texas
College Station sits approximately 90 miles northwest of Houston and is the home of Texas A&M University. The fire department serves a population of over 100,000 residents, plus the university. The department has six fully staffed and modern stations. The College Station Fire Department is the lead agency for regional Hazardous Materials Incident Response with a group made up of personnel from the College Station and Bryan Fire Departments and personnel from the Environmental Health and Safety Office of Texas A&M University. The additional of this Hackney HazMat multi-functional trailer extends the vast capabilities of the department and allows a large team with containment, monitoring, and mitigation to be performed from a single apparatus.
- Hackney model TDD1087, 37-ft drop-deck hazmat trailer
- Drop-deck frame technology that permits low compartment ground height for increased access to the vast amount of equipment stored on board.
- Drop-down ramp on the rear of the trailer permits transport of John Deere Gator ATV or other types of wheeled vehicle. Floor tie-downs are provided in the anti-slip ribbed interior floor to secure the vehicle during transit.
- 13.5-ft long x 93” wide room in the rear of the trailer provides 80” of clear headroom. The room, other than housing the ATV, is used as an environmentally controlled science lab and logistics center. Desks and bench seating on the side walls fold-up and out of the way when the ATV is stored. Two rooftop air conditioner units provide a comfortable environment in the high temperature and humidity extremes prevalent in south Texas (see drawings for layout details).
- Spartan Gladiator ELFD custom tractor
- Cummins 450hp engine
- 21,500# front and 27,000# rear axle
- 18” extended stainless steel front bumper with recessed Q2B, air horns and electronic siren speaker (2)
- Eight-man seating positions in the cab with slide-out stainless steel command desk behind engine cover and upper cabinets above the four rear wall, forward facing seats
- 24” wide x 90” high compartment module behind tractor cab with roll-up doors.
- Frame enclosure between module and fifth wheel with integral access steps to the trailer roof access ladder and umbilical connections
- Side entrance door on curbside of the trailer to lab and logistics center used a primary access. Electric deploy and retract auxiliary step beneath door.
- Roof storage compartments – (4) 120” long x 26” wide x 19.25” high
- Electric deploy awnings on left and right side of trailer
- All Whelen LED warning light system and 12vdc LED scene lights
- LED compartment light strips recessed into side walls of all compartments and applicable partitions.
- Weather Station with monitor mounted on telescoping pole
- 40kw PTO generator with 3-phase, 100-amp umbilical connector between tractor and trailer
- 30-amp shorepower on trailer with automatic transfer relay supplying power to all interior trailer outlets and the environmental systems
- 240VAC Hannay cord reel with 200-ft 10/4 cable split at the power distribution boxes into two separate 30-amp 120VAC circuits on the four outlets
- Two (2) Will-Burt light towers with FRC 1500-watt Optimum flood lights. One tower is equipped with a monitoring camera that feeds a signal to a 42” LED television in the lab/logistics center
- Mako 20.7 cfm breathing air compressor with four (4) 6000 psi ASME receivers and and two-bottle fill enclosure
- Breathing air hose reel with 250-ft 6000 psi Synflex hose
- Two (2) utility air outlets on trailer connected to the air compressor